29 May 2011

Sunday Check-In & Updates!

Memorial Day Weekend Is Here....... Remember.   

My family has strong military ties.  My maternal grandfather served in the U.S. Army during WWII in the European Theatre.  My great-uncle was commissioned an officer in the field during that same war.  My father served in the U.S. Navy.  My step-father served in the Navy and spent time in Vietnam as a medic on river patrol boats.  My husband was also in the Navy as was his father.  Thankfully, all returned home safely.  This is not true for all servicemen or women.  Now, our daughter is serving our country in the U.S. Navy as well.

When we debate the issues that our nation faces, let us remember that many of our countrymen died to maintain the freedom to do just that!  We may bicker, argue, protest, support, plant signs in our yards, and say or write what we want to because someone fought and gave their life to protect that right.  Without their sacrifices, their bravery, their willingness to accept the call to protect and defend, we might not be in a position to give voice to our mind's thoughts, dreams, or hopes. 

Remember them.      

Novel News

Claiming The Prize is nearing completion.  I will not stay within my original 80,000 word goal, but will most likely end up between 82,000-85,000 words.  I have only 15 pages to reach my estimated 310 pages, and I'm not sure I'll be able to finish in quite so few sheets of paper.  You'll not hear a complaint out of me.  I'm ecstatic to have had so much material to write into the story.  (Besides, maybe editing will 'clean it up' a little.......) 

Chapter two is just about finished in Her Dark Baron!  Allowing myself 25,000 words in this first novella is shaping up to be a fantastic goal.  I plotted out ten chapters of ten pages each, which will produce about 20,000 words.  The additional 5,000 are bonus 'freebies' that I can utilize if/when necessary.  Chapter two is one of those scenes that require a bit more......maybe 500 extra or so. 

Through conversation with a fellow writer and friend, I am learning a great deal about the various formatting requirements needed to upload one's work for publishing.  Generally, I learn by doing, so it all sounds like 'Greek' to me at this point.  Once I navigate this daunting process I'm sure it will seem quite simple, but right now, 'sweating bullets' is an apt term to describe my feelings about this upcoming task. 

 

Writing such different 'heroes' in my two current projects is absolutely satisfying.  One is open and straightforward, the other is dark, haunted - if you will-, and mysterious.  It provides me options, and I like options.  It also allows me to continue working when I need to think out a scene in one project.  My husband asked me this week if it is confusing to maintain two separate story lines in my mind simultaneously.  For me this hasn't been a problem (at least not yet...).  So I ask, " Do you write more than one story at a time? And if so, has it ever been a problem for you?"



Have a great week of writing everyone.  Don't forget to stop by fellow Round of Words participant's blog pages!
~ Nadja

5 comments:

  1. You know the answer I have to give to that question. I'm in the middle of Masquerade with my wonderful Russian, and I'm about to begin my sheik book. (At least I think he's a sheik...we'll see how that develops). It's far more invigorating than it is confusing. But I'm also like that with other things too. I routinely have three or four house projects going at once. It all keeps the blood flowing! LOL

    Looking forward to reading more about your Baron...mmmmm...love me some dark and brooding hero. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't write more than one story at a time. It would be confusing for me - make me crazy. Too many characters viaing for attention. Love your memorial day post. Retired military brat here so completely agree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to have a number of projects going at once too. I am normally reading at least three or four books at any given time, working on a few home improvement jobs, and juggling teaching, sports activities/events, and my writing. Why wouldn't I carry over that part of my personality into my writing!? I guess I like my orgainized version of multi-tasking that swirls around my brain. But it's also why I have forgotten to pick up a child from work (only once or twice....) and absolutely must write down any appointments or to-do tasks. My mind is so full already that I forget......
    Oh well, my family is used to it - and they've continued to 'keep me around'.
    I'm glad you liked the Memorial Day post, Robin. Thanks for stopping by! ~ Nadja

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, congrats on almost being done!!! Yay!!!

    Secondly, don't stress about formatting too much. If it were me, I would sign up with Smashwords which walks you through every bit of the formatting process and gives you quite a lot of nice tips on how to do things. And when you come out on the other side, you have your epub and your mobi and several other formats that you might need. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! I hadn't realised you were working on another story at the same time! Great to hear you're progressing on both! I think I might be able to do that only if I wasn't working full time...

    ReplyDelete