01 February 2012

Mid-Week Machinations & Insecure Writers

Updates From The Crafty, Plotting, and Cunning Notariani...


mach·i·na·tion (m k -n sh n, m sh -). n. 1. The act of plotting. 2. A crafty scheme or cunning design for the accomplishment of a sinister end.

Don't get fashed!  I'm scheming the ending of my current novella/novel, The Third Fate, and oh, what an ending it's turning out to be.  I'm having a great time with this paranormal story, because let's face it, I can craft any sort of un-natural circumstance I want...

Seriously, fellow ROW80's, this is the most fun I've had in awhile. 

What's the 'craftiest' plot twist you've encountered in a paranormal story?  What plot/storyline(s) do you like/not like within the paranormal genre?

Hosted by Alex J. Cavanaugh  It's Time For February's Insecure Writer's Post...

Greetings, comrades in insecurity! What troubles you this fine day?  Wouldn't it be great to hear that no one has a singular vexation this first Wednesday in February?

I cannot answer for anyone else, but I find myself unable to conjure the least troubling thoughts.  I'm having a blast, and expect it to continue!  January surpassed any expectations I imagined, leaving me absolutely nothing to dare complain about.  Believe me, if I dared to complain, it would simply provoke bad karma...ha! Not this girl....No Way!

So for the month of love, I'll be the encourager.  Keep writing.  Keep editing.  Keep planning.  Keep publishing.  Good things will happen.    

Progress ~

*  1500-1800 words completed on story ending.  I'll probably add at least ten more pages, adding around 3000 more by the week's end. 

*  Still waiting on cover design.  Sigh.  I'm bursting at the seams...

*  Second read-through/edit will begin tonight/tomorrow.  I want to nail down the areas where the story drags and evaluate for weak dialogue.  Sharpening...it's a good thing.

*  Two hour brain-storming session with my sister has some great details taking form for the new historical novella!  No one can toss around plot options like my Claus...

*  Exercise will continue at home for the next month.  Here's my personal February Visa commercial...
New wrestling shoes for sophomore son : $135.00
Wrestling shoes for 7 & 8 year old whose feet will NOT stop growing: $100.00
Headgear to protect ears : $35.00
Cash to fill belly of starving son at each *&^% meet : $20.00
Cash to fill bellies of two 'practically starving' younger sons: $50.00
Entrance fees per meet/tourney : $20.00
Gas : $Ack!  I cannot even type this number ....

Joy at seeing raised hands of my little men.....PRICELESS.
Alas, I will forgo my CrossFit sessions for the month.  I'll be working from home, though, as I don't want to lose any of the strength I've gained. 

12 comments:

  1. While I have many favorites, one from the top of my head is in Ex Oblivione by Lovecraft, in which the dreaming narrator realizes the beauty and horror of what lies beyond the great gate of his dreams. Congrats on all the progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! That sounds interesting. I'm still pondering what my favorite(s) are....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great progress Nadja. LOL, I hear you on the CC commercial! Boys are SO expensive. Hope you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Interesting in a good way??? Oy...do I want to know? Ha! Great to see you, Jeremy. Best of luck in pushing through your second-story-slow-patch.

      Delete
  5. Boys are pricey! Especially when they hit those ravenous velociraptor growing spurts and will eat everything not nailed down. Congrats on such steady progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to use that ...'ravenous velociraptor growing spurts' It's beyond true. They threaten to eat me out of house and home!

      Delete
  6. Kids in general are pricey - I have one of each, so I speak from experience :-) But how can we deny them what gives them such a pleasure, experience and teaches them the fact of life: work toward your goal and you will be rewarded with success.

    Great writing progress. You are blessed to have a plot savvy sister :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay on Brilliant endings! I love that deliciously scheming feeling I get when I figure out a brilliant ending to my story! Hope it goes quickly for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So right, Kate! And yes...here's to quick and speedy transfer from my mind to the pages...ha! Same to you as you work on the last story within Aeris!

      Delete
  8. Plots? Machinations? Ohhh, my head hurts... I like the sweet parts of romance. Plot is... well, unless my characters tell me what they want, I can't seem to force them into situations.
    On the other hand... I swore up and down that I wouldn't enter the palace, and what did Rosa do? Run right to the Sultan when her father and brother were arrested by janissaries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the way it goes? Ha! In my latest WIP, the ending keeps changing as I write on... now entirely different than I had originally plotted. Am I allowed to cry 'pushy-characters'? Ha...
      Since they can do nothing without my 'go-ahead', I suppose I'll have to take full responsibility...

      Delete