23 May 2012

Real Life Evaluation And Trauma-Drama In Fiction

Another Wednesday check-in has come around for ROW80 participants. 

June 21, 2012 will mark the end of this round.  Time for a reckoning.  Self assessment.  Introspection.  Evaluation. 

How did you fare?  Meet a lofty goal and want to proclaim it from the roof-top?  Learn yourself better?  Discover your limits only to push past them?  All these questions should be building as we near the end of a round.  It is necessary as we begin fixing our goals for the next. 

We've got a few weeks left!  Push hard to the end.

On The Writing/Goals Front...

 * Begun writing chapter five.  I struggled with the ending of chapter four.  I didn't complete this chapter on time, finishing only last night.  I was tired and cranky and having to forcibly extract words from my brain.  This chapter exhausted me.  But!  Now the hero and heroine are once again under the same roof.  Their interaction should perk me right up! 

 * The typing...  Crickets, crickets.  *smiles awkwardly*


    

 * The exercise.  Whooping  victoriously!  On-toes push-ups!  That's what this girl has graduated up to.  Jeepers!  It sure did cut into my numbers, though.  Anyway, I'm feeling mighty proud. 

 * Discussed a hang-up I have my heroine experience with my brainstorming partner.  I want her to have this issue, offering fodder for fantastic tension and misunderstanding between her and the hero, but I need to tread carefully.  As a reader, I shy away from overly dramatic heroines.  It's a real turn-off for me.  I shy away from overly dramatic people in real-life; their absolute enslavement to emotion makes me uncomfortable - and wary of their ability to make sound judgements.  I'm using a bit of this with my heroine to balance her issue.  'Experience the emotion, recognize the issue, yet overcome and master one's self.'  That's my motto.  Oops...control freak in the blog...sorry :}   Finding the perfect balance to craft a likable, admirable and sympathetic character without venturing into melodramatic-mess-territory is proving a fine line. 

How do you feel about trauma-drama in your heroine or story?


Winners from the Sinful Siren Giveaway Hop....Drumroll, please....

First Prize - LaceyBlossom

Second Prize - June M. 

Third Prize - Eva P.

Congrats!  I'll be sending emails and prizes out in the next few days!  Thank you to everyone who stopped by and entered!  Come back on June 8, as the Summer Giveaway Hop begins with more chances to win.

 ~ Nadja

12 comments:

  1. Like you, drama queens just make me go into auto-tune out mode. But there are people who are passionate about what they believe and have sound practical reasons for them. For a fictional character to accomplish the same, she has to make me believe her plight has weight and importance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Maria. Hint-o-drama-sans-the-trauma...Ha! Hmmm. New slogan?

      Delete
  2. It's really hard to find a balance between strong emotion and excessive drama. You want one, but not the other. But I'm sure you'll figure it out and your heroine will be what you want her to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's 'under-construction'...so to speak! Ha! I'm having a blast with Evangeline. She's sharp as a tack, and ready to put the lid on nonsense at every turn, but fate is conspiring against her 'sensibilities'. It's interesting to watch her squirm as she re-evaluates her perception of a certain individual...kicking and screaming (figuratively) all the way.

      Delete
  3. I think that's the case for most people...the high drama is tiring so we tune it/them out. But it's more so in fiction I think.

    Good job knocking out chapter 4. Give yourself a breather then hit chapter 5 :) Wishing you a great week Nadja!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished a story that had me fuming by its end! The filth-and-foul crying that went on! ARRGH! The author had a great storyline and crafted superb tension. Unfortunately, she went over the top with the sobbing and self-recrimination and more sobbing. I had no sympathy left by the story's end. She wrung that rag dry...

      Delete
  4. I think the key to writing an emotional (but not overly dramatic) character is to be sure to give their emotions a sound reasoning. That is, makes sure the psychological underpinnings of the character are sound. Maybe your character totally flips out about being abandoned. If she was found alone at a bus stop when she was 12, in the rain, no parents to claim her and a half-eaten ice-cream in her hand... well then maybe she has a good reason to be a bit dramatic about abandonment. You know what I mean?

    I'm find myself most annoyed not by the drama itself, but by my reaction of: BUT WHY?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! I need a 'like' button for your comment, Matt. Now...trauma-drama makes me steam from the ears. But I do appreciate a well laid character history that includes personal issues. The question, 'why', must be revealed somewhere in the storyline to make it believable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nadja, no time just a quick nod as we pass in the hall :-)

    Wander

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! It's a busy life, Chris...*smiles at your nod and rushes to next class*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nadja your family is very lucky. Thank you for your very kind comment Vicki was a very lovely soul, with many whom loved her.

    One of these days I will get around to reading the Torah...but it will definitely have to be translated lol


    lol on a lighter note my sister are having an on going conversation about the Google...
    I say the "The Google is watching you"
    She responds "I hate the Google"
    I say "The wrath of the Google will be visited upon you"
    At the same timeshe asks "Did the Google hear me?"

    We both laugh!!!

    Wander

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! Love the back and forth over 'The Google'...it's great. I'll remember ... and remind you once in awhile...just in case you get lax in the 'knowing'. Ha!

      I'll stop by your blog and recommend an English version of Torah that is perfect! Set it on your side-table and ...who knows. One day you'll begin leafing through. :} I'm truly sorry for your loss, and I'm so glad if any of the words I wrote bring a measure of peace.

      Delete